Seeing your Gynecologist for a yearly visit is a great time to take care of all health concerns. Before the appointment, consider any questions that you may want to ask and feel comfortable expressing any concerns with your physician. Most women begin having their annual check-ups at the age of 18 or when sexually active.
What will my annual check-up include?
- Review of personal and family medical history
- Breast exam, checking for any lumps, skin changes or discharge
- Abdominal exam to check for any pain points
- Speculum exam and Pap smear
- Transvaginal ultrasound
- Laboratory tests such as the thyroid function tests, fasting blood sugar, lipid profile, calcium and Vitamin D levels
If the Pap smear results come back normal, there is no need to visit your physician until next year unless you have any questions or begin experiencing any of the following conditions: vaginal bleeding, vaginal discharge, irregular periods, pelvic pain, bleeding after intercourse, if you are considering pregnancy or you become pregnant.
For an abnormal Pap smear result, we will schedule an appointment for a colposcopy during which your physician will view your cervix under magnification to look for any lesions. If a lesion is observed, a biopsy will be taken for testing. According to the result, your physician will propose a treatment plan for you.
Book an appointment with one of the Gynecologists at Fakih IVF to have your annual check up, ask any questions you may have and put yourself at ease.