Abnormal vaginal bleeding includes heavy periods, irregular periods, bleeding in between periods and bleeding after menopause and can emerge at any age. Treatment is important as each person may experience different levels of bleeding symptoms, some which cause a mere annoyance and others that require medical attention.
What are the common causes of vaginal bleeding?
Isolating the cause of your vaginal bleeding is important for developing an appropriate treatment and management plan. Some circumstances or conditions which may cause vaginal bleeding include:
- Benign (non-cancercous) conditions: fibroids, polyps or adenomyosis
- Cancers of the vagina, cervix or uterus
- Infections of the vagina, cervix or uterus
- Endometrial hyperplasia (abnormal growth of endometrial tissue resulting in atypical cells)
- Bleeding disorders
- Medication side effects
- Physical trauma
- Intrauterine device
- Anovulation or dysfunctional uterine bleeding: Bleeding that cannot be attributed to one of the factors above but instead is likely related to irregular menstrual cycles from a hormonal imbalance
There are many treatments available to help curb your symptoms if you are experiencing irregular vaginal bleeding. If at any time you unexpectedly experience heavy vaginal bleeding, it is important that you see your physician to ensure that it is not a serious medical condition. Book an appointment at Fakih IVF today to discuss your medical history with one of our Gynecologists.